Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Feast of Saints Timothy and Titus!

        The feast brings to mind inspiring words of St. Paul to St. Timothy:

Let no one despise your youth, but set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.
- 1 Tim 4:12

     This is as relevant today for a young and aspiring follower of Christ as it was nearly 2000 years ago.  I am reminded of a few things each time I read this verse.
     Firstly, that I cannot allow the societal stereotype of youth and young adulthood to discourage me from pursuing holiness and being the best I can be.  (I recommend a refreshingly against-the-current book on this topic, Do Hard Things: a Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex and Brett Harris).

     Also, that my earthly journey isn't just about getting me to heaven.  We're all in it together as the Mystical Body, and in my behavior I'm accountable not only for the damage I may do myself, but for the influence I have on others.
     This concept applies to everyone, with the possible exceptions of the hermit or the recluse.  But the schoolchild, college student, parent, professional, and religious, each has his own audience for whom they are responsible to set an example.  Mine mostly comes in the form of my four younger siblings.
     This affords me a very tangible and immediate reminder of the importance of setting a godly example; it's a real wake-up call when one of the little ones begins a bad habit that looks just like mine.  And what I reward it is when they exhibit a virtue which I have tried to model for them!
     I hope that, with God's grace, I will use the opportunity of setting examples for my siblings to the best of my ability, and so be in practice when I go out into the big, wide world and am accountable for a much larger, scarier, tougher audience to my behavior.         

    No comments: